Iowa State University – Safety Specialist, Facilities Planning and Management
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) at Iowa State University is seeking candidates for a Safety Specialist to work full-time with the Facilities Planning and Management Department (FP&M). This position will provide expert assistance in the implementation of university occupational safety and health programs for a department of 470 personnel responsible for campus utilities; building maintenance; custodial services; grounds maintenance; facilities design and construction; and department administrative services. The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Developing and sustaining safety programs and training tailored to FP&M staff and functions, with a focus on injury reduction.
- Performing workplace safety inspections, job safety analyses, accident investigation and reporting, and employee training.
- Monitoring correction of workplace hazards and responses to observational safety efforts, evaluating and responding to first report of injuries, and managing department near miss reporting system and follow-up.
- Collecting data to determine and report department and unit level incident rates, evaluate trends and recommend improvements.
Although this position will be supporting FP&M, it will be necessary to liaison with EH&S staff to obtain additional support and expertise as required. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, persuasion and negotiation skills to successfully engage department management and employees in safety program goals and implementation.
Required Minimum Quals:
Bachelor’s degree and two years of related experience.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in in Safety Engineering, Safety Management, Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Emergency Management, Public Health, or related field
- Experience working in occupational safety and health programs for large, diverse organizations
- Experience developing and delivering safety training courses
- Experience with accident, injury and near miss investigations, record keeping and reporting
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge of facility construction, safety aspects of applicable codes, and construction standard health and safety requirements
- Experience using spreadsheets and databases, particularly Microsoft products
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.